Friday, November 26, 2010

Film critique - Girl with Dragon Tattoo

Catching up with friends who read them years ago, I recently finished the spell-binding Swedish trilogy -
starring Lisbeth Salander - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.  Regretfully, the author, Steig Larsson, died soon after completing the third. (Some speculate that he planned a series of ten volumes.)

I have just watched the Swedish film version of the first, and am baffled by it.  I would love to talk to others who have read the books, and then viewed the film/s.  Throughout,  all I could wonder was: how in the world could anyone get caught up in this story? The film is quite episodic and fails to covey the suspense, the characterizations, the nuances which as a reader I found compelling - and haunting. I am also disappointed with the actor cast as Lisbeth - she is too pretty, not as edgy as I expected, nor as diminutive. Larsson makes a point of her size frequently  - with comments on the strength such a tiny person exhibits.

I expect to view the other two films - just wondering how I will react.  It has been ages since I have seen a film 'based on a book' which I had read, consumed, and enjoyed.  Recollection informs that this was among the most disappointing.

No comments: